Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We real cool poem review

Not much into fantasy, want something real, something that will leave you thinking then read this poem. It goes by the name “we real cool” and Gwendolyn Brooks created it. You will enjoy this poem for so many reasons. Rhythm in the poem was created through the use of grammar and vocabulary. A life like vibe was given off from it because of the use of reality. My mind was left wondering because of all of the conflicting parts.

First off, I was astonished by the lack of grammar and vocabulary used in this poem. Most of the sentences are written short, simple, and incomplete. “We cool” has the most length out of all of the sentences. Ever sentence begins with we ad none o the verbs are conjugated properly. As I look at this poem I feel as though the writer did this n purpose, it adds the meaning.

Another thing that made me chooses this poem as the use of reality. Because I am into realistic poetry I seek out events that relate to real life occurrences. This poem talks about cool people, people at the top, and have fun that end up living a short life. When I read this poem it felt as if I could see every thing going on through the writer’s eyes. “We real cool” and “we die soon” sum up the whole meaning of this poem. By adding these lines together pictures in my head began to pop up.

Last but not least, this poem had man conflicting lines that kept me locked into reading. The subtitle “seven at a golden shovel” conflicted with it’s self the most. In order to die at a golden shovel one must have lived large. But as the poem goes on it make me feel limited to two life styles. I could either live a long uncool boring nobody life or I could live a big time, cool, exciting life. When I finished reading I was left wondering what life style I would want to live.
Your taste for life like poetry will be satisfied the moment after you read this poem. You will have; a rhythm built upon grammar, reality that will grab you in and conflicting meanings that will cause uncontrollable thoughts. Best to believe you will be left lusting for more.

No comments: